Are you one of those people who are afraid to cook with dried beans because you are never quite sure how to do it? Not only are dried beans nutrition dense, they are inexpensive, easy to store and they taste great!
Here is one of the easiest recipes I’ve come up with for cooking dried pinto beans and it is so tasty that everyone will want to know how you did it. This recipe results in perfectly cooked pinto beans every single time no matter how much (or how little) experience you have in the kitchen.
- 1 lb (approx. 2 cups) dried pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 3 Tablespoons dehydrated minced onion
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- Rinse and sort the dried beans, removing any debris and broken beans.
- In a large saucepan, add all ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
You can use fresh onion in the place of dehydrated. 1 cup of fresh diced onion is equal to 3 Tablespoons of dehydrated minced onion.