How about a light, refreshing, yet totally filling meal that is every bit as tasty as pasta without the simple carbs that will leave you feeling bloated? This steamed zucchini noodle recipe is good enough to use with any standard pasta sauce, but it is even more amazing when you couple it with my raw tomato basil sauce.
Steamed Zucchini with Spicy Raw Tomato Basil Sauce
Author: Michael Nolan
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 sweet red pepper, stem and seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ small Serrano pepper (optional), stem and seeds removed
- handful of fresh Basil, thinly sliced
- juice of half a lemon or lime
- Use a mandolin slicer or Spiralizer to cut the zucchini into thin noodles. You can use a knife if that’s all you’ve got, but it will take a while.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, garlic, sweet pepper, and Serrano pepper. Pulse until well-chopped and combined.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and lime and pulse until the mixture is well-blended but still slightly chunky.
- Pour into a fine mesh strainer positioned over a bowl and allow to drain for 15-30 minutes. Reserve the liquid to add to a future juice.
- To serve, place zucchini noodles in a bowl and top with plenty of sauce. Garnish with extra basil leaves.
- Steam the noodles using a vegetable steamer if you have one, or boil them for 45 seconds, immediately removing them from the water.