Who says you can’t have a creamy, flavorful meal that isn’t high in fat, calories, or processed junk? My creamy cauliflower roasted vegetables with brown rice is a meal that will leave anyone satisfied. It is one of the dinner meal options in my soon-to-be released 7-Day Body Vacation food plan (more on that in a future post).
For now, let’s get to the food.
This dish is seriously delicious. It doesn’t use any actual cream and very little fat (in the form of heart-healthy olive oil). The cauliflower transforms into a velvety delight that really rounds out a light but filling meal.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- ½ head of cauliflower, cut into manageable pieces
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into ½” coins
- 2 carrots, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 medium turnip, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 purple onion, quartered with the root still intact (to keep it together)
- 3 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ⅛ cup nutritional yeast (optional, but delicious)
- Heat the oven to 425F degrees
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Place zucchini, carrots, turnip, and onion in a large mixing bowl and toss to coat with olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Tear a small sheet of aluminum foil and place the garlic cloves in the center. Drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and fold the aluminum foil into a small packet. Add to the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the garlic packet and check vegetables for doneness. Continue to cook in 5 minute intervals as needed.
- While the vegetables are roasting, boil the cauliflower in a medium saucepan for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Transfer cauliflower, roasted garlic, non-dairy milk, and ½ teaspoon of salt to a blender. Blend on high speed until creamy.
- When vegetables are done, stir creamy cauliflower sauce into the brown rice and divide into 2 bowls. Top the rice with the roasted vegetables and serve!