Is there anyone who doesn’t love homemade sloppy joes? They are easy to make, fast to eat, and let’s face it – they’re delicious.
Sure, the canned sloppy joe mix is really tempting sometimes, but you really don’t need it. You can make your own sloppy joes in just a few minutes with basic ingredients you probably already have on hand, and you will know every ingredient that goes into your family dinner.
Make this recipe once and you will give up the canned stuff for good. What’s even cooler is that you can double the recipe and freeze leftovers for a handy meal that just might mean the difference between eating a home cooked meal or stopping at the drive-thru window.
- 1 lb. 80/20 ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup green pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons honey, agave or sugar
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add onion, green pepper and ground beef to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until meat is thoroughly browned. Drain and discard fat.
- Return meat mixture to skillet and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until mixture thickens to desired consistency.
- Serve on hamburger buns.