Whether you call it Cottage Pie or Shepherd’s Pie, this dish is made with ground beef instead of the traditional lamb. If you want to make it healthier, you could replace the ground beef with ground turkey or even chicken. It’s a hearty, filling comfort food dish that the whole family will love.
While it does take a few steps, nothing about it is difficult and the few ingredients you need are basic.
Homemade Cottage Pie
Author: Michael Nolan
- 2-3 cups mashed potatoes (great use for leftovers)
- 1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1½ cups carrots, finely diced
- 1½ cup frozen peas
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper
- corn (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Brown ground beef along with the onion, drain.
- Melt butter in a pan and whisk in flour. Continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Add beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper as needed.
- Add ground beef, onion, carrots and peas to the sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture in a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a bit of paprika.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 30 minutes.