If you are anything like me, your memory of Brussels sprouts from childhood was a horrific one. Bland little balls of frozen, thawed, overboiled green mush. Am I close?
Like I said, I was the same way for a long time. Then I learned how Brussels sprouts are supposed to taste and my life has never been the same. Give this recipe a try and you will never look at this underrated vegetable the same again.
Brussels Sprout Hash
Author: Michael Nolan
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, roughly chopped
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- salt & pepper
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from skillet, leaving drippings.
- Add butter and the onion. Sauté over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes or until translucent and beginning to color.
- Add honey & vinegar and stir to mix.
- Add Brussels sprouts, stir and sauté until slightly browned. Add water and continue cooking until liquid reduces by half water.
- Add bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.