I am a huge fan of Asian food, and General Tso’s Chicken is one of my favorites. Now you can make it at home and be sure that there is no added MSG or other preservatives.
The real key to this recipe is the sauce. General Tso’s Chicken is sweet, tangy and spicy and my version doesn’t skimp on any of those.
- 2 lbs chicken deboned & cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 egg
- corn starch
- soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth (or one can)
- 1 Thai chili or 1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
1. Make the sauce by placing all sauce ingredients into a blender or food processor and blending on low speed until thoroughly mixed. It will settle periodically prior to cooking, so blend again just prior to cooking the sauce.
2. Place the chicken in a bowl and toss with soy sauce, salt & pepper. Add a slightly beaten egg to the bowl and toss to coat.
3. Transfer chicken to a large zipper bag containing a mixture of corn starch and all purpose flour and toss in the bag to coat well.
4. Fry the chicken in hot oil until done and remove from pan. Drain all but 2 Tablespoons of oil from the pan.
5. Add spring onions and red bell pepper to the pan and sauté until peppers soften slightly, then add sauce mixture and stir constantly until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
6. Toss chicken in sauce mixture and serve over a bed of steamed rice.